Enjoy Beauty and Strength with All-Ceramic Inlays and Onlays
Are you seeking a natural-looking and durable solution to restore your damaged teeth? Look no further than the all-ceramic dental inlays and onlays offered by Sacramento restorative dentist, Dr. A. Scott Grivas III. These ceramic dental restorations not only provide aesthetic benefits but also conserve and strengthen your tooth’s natural structure. Learn about all-ceramic, tooth-colored inlays and onlays by dialing (916) 929-9222, or keep reading to discover why treatment with these custom-made restorations might be the perfect option for you.
What Are All-Ceramic Dental Inlays and Onlays?
All-ceramic dental inlays and onlays, or indirect fillings and partial crowns as they’re often called, repair the surface of teeth damaged by decay or trauma. They can even preserve and fortify the tooth’s natural structure, preventing further damage. Inlays fill the space between the tooth’s cusps, while onlays cover one or more cusps, providing reinforcement where a basic filling may be insufficient.
Benefits of All-Ceramic Inlays and Onlays
Many dentists praise ceramic indirect fillings and partial crowns, due to their beauty and longevity. Some of the many benefits of ceramic indirect fillings and partial crowns include:
- Enhanced Durability: Both inlays and onlays can better withstand the rigors of daily chewing and biting when they’re made of ceramic. This helps ensure long-lasting performance, as long as they receive proper care.
- Extended Lifespan: When compared to conventional dental fillings, all-ceramic inlays and onlays can serve patients more effectively for many years, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
- Natural Appearance: Ceramic indirect fillings and partial crowns closely mimic the color, translucency, and texture of surrounding teeth, making them virtually indistinguishable.
- Conservative Alternative: All-ceramic inlays and onlays provide a conservative alternative to dental crowns. This preservation of tooth structure is essential for maintaining the overall strength of the tooth.
- Tooth Structure Preservation: In addition to being a conservative option, these restorations also preserve more natural tooth structure compared to traditional fillings and crowns.
- Longevity: All-ceramic inlays and onlays are known for their longevity, with an estimated lifespan of 15 to 30 years.
- Effective Solution: These restorations are highly effective for addressing various dental concerns, such as tooth decay and damage.
Who Qualifies for All-Ceramic Inlays and Onlays?
You may qualify for all ceramic inlays or onlays if any of the following apply to you:
- Moderate Tooth Damage: If you have teeth with moderate damage beyond the scope of traditional fillings, all-ceramic inlays and onlays may be a suitable option. However, for larger cavities or severely decayed teeth, a traditional filling or crown may be the better option.
- Not Severe Enough for Crowns: These restorative treatments are ideal when your teeth’s damage isn’t severe enough to necessitate the placement of a full dental crown, preserving more of your natural tooth structure.
- Single-Tooth Restoration: All-ceramic inlays and onlays offer an effective way to restore the tooth’s function and appearance.
- Conservative Approach: Patients who prefer a conservative approach to dental work, preserving their remaining tooth structure, will find all-ceramic inlays and onlays to be a fitting choice.
The All-Ceramic Inlay and Onlay Procedure
Before you’re approved for all-ceramic inlays or onlays, you’ll have an initial consultation with your Sacramento restorative dentist, Dr. Grivas. During your consultation, Dr. Grivas will provide a full exam of your entire mouth to determine if an inlay or onlay is best for you. Your initial consultation is a great time to ask any questions or voice any concerns you may have.
Preparing for Inlays and Onlays
To begin the all-ceramic inlay or onlay procedure, Dr. Grivas will clean the tooth and eliminate any decay or damage. Then, Dr. Grivas will apply local anesthesia to ensure your comfort. We offer sedation dentistry if you’re experiencing heightened nervousness, have a low pain tolerance, are unresponsive to pain medication, or are undergoing an extended procedure. Once you’re numb, Dr. Grivas will then prepare the entire tooth out to accommodate the custom restoration, with a focus on preserving as much of the natural tooth structure as possible.
Once the tooth has been adequately prepared, an impression is taken and sent to a dental laboratory that will fabricate the custom inlay or onlay to precisely fit your tooth. In the meantime, a temporary restoration or a temporary filling might be placed to protect the tooth until the permanent inlay or onlay is ready for installation.
Installation and Bonding
Upon receiving your custom-made inlay or onlay from the dental lab, Dr. Grivas will meticulously inspect the fit and make any required adjustments before applying the bonding agent. Dr. Grivas will then cement the ceramic dental restoration in place to ensure a secure and long-lasting bond. After firmly placing the restoration, Dr. Grivas will polish the edges to guarantee a smooth and natural appearance.
Ceramic Inlay and Onlay Aftercare and Maintenance
Wait until the effects of local anesthesia have completely worn off before consuming any food. This helps prevent accidental bites or injuries. Furthermore, for approximately 24 hours following the procedure, it’s best to avoid hard or crunchy foods that could exert excessive pressure on the restoration.
Maintaining proper oral hygiene is essential to caring for your ceramic dental restorations. Brush and floss your teeth regularly, ensuring you clean around and over the inlay or onlay. A soft-bristle toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste are recommended to prevent scratching the restoration’s surface. Keeping your mouth clean and free of debris helps prevent issues such as decay around the restoration.
Routine Dental Check-Ups
Schedule and attend routine dental cleanings and check-ups as advised by Dr. Grivas. These regular visits allow Dr. Grivas to monitor the condition of your inlay or onlay and ensure it remains in optimal condition. Any potential issues can be detected and addressed promptly.
Adhere to Aftercare Instructions
For the best results, follow the aftercare instructions provided by Dr. Grivas. These proper care instructions may include guidance on diet, oral hygiene, and potential discomfort management. Adhering to these oral health guidelines is crucial in ensuring the success of your restorations.
Sustain Good Dental Care Habits
Maintaining overall good dental care habits is key to the longevity of your inlay or onlay. This includes brushing and flossing and being mindful of dietary choices. Reducing or eliminating habits like teeth grinding or using your teeth as tools can help protect your restoration from undue stress.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, ceramic inlays and onlays are generally more durable than traditional dental fillings. They are custom-made from sturdy materials, providing additional strength to the surrounding tooth structure and offering enhanced durability. This makes them a robust and long-lasting choice for restoring teeth with moderate damage or decay.
Determining whether you need an inlay, onlay, filling, or crown is a decision made by your dentist, who will thoroughly evaluate your unique dental condition. Your dentist will consider factors such as the severity of tooth damage and decay to recommend the most suitable treatment option for you. This personalized approach ensures that you receive the most effective and beneficial dental restoration based on your specific requirements.
While inlays and onlays are commonly used for molars, they can also be an excellent choice for front teeth. It depends on the extent of damage and the specific treatment plan recommended by your dentist.
Coverage for inlays and onlays can vary depending on your dental insurance plan. Some plans may partially cover the cost, while others may not. Check with your insurance provider or consult with your dentist to understand your specific coverage and potential out-of-pocket expenses.
Enjoy the Beauty of All-Ceramic Inlays and Onlays, Call Today!
Experience the beauty and benefits of all-ceramic, tooth-colored inlays and onlays for yourself by scheduling a consultation with Dr. A. Scott Grivas III. With a commitment to providing exceptional dental care and restorative dentistry, you can trust Dr. Grivas to help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile.
Schedule your appointment with Dr. Grivas to determine if all-ceramic inlays and onlays are the right choice for you by dialing (916) 929-9222, and take the first step towards a healthier, more confident smile today. We’re here to help new and returning patients from Sacramento and surrounding areas such as La Riviera, West Sacramento, Florin, and Rosemont, CA.