Inexpensive & Conservative Restoration With Dental Bonding
Struggling with cosmetic and oral health issues simultaneously? At our Sacramento dental practice, Dr. A. Scott Grivas III offers a conservative but effective solution with dental bonding. Dental bonding restores both the form and function of your teeth, addressing both structural integrity and aesthetic concerns. Learn more about cosmetic dental bonding by dialing (916) 929-9222, or keep reading to learn more.
What Is Composite Dental Bonding?
Composite dental bonding, also known as cosmetic bonding, teeth bonding, and tooth bonding, is a process where Dr. Grivas uses composite resin, typically made of materials like porcelain and quartz, to repair minor damage and enhance a tooth’s appearance. Dr. Grivas skillfully applies the bonding material without the need for teeth impressions, ensuring a precise and freehand restoration.
Benefits of Composite Dental Bonding
Composite bonding offers various significant benefits for those looking to:
- Versatile Treatment: Tooth bonding is a versatile solution, effectively addressing many dental concerns such as decay, minor damage, and discoloration.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to porcelain veneers and some other cosmetic dental procedures, tooth bonding is a more budget-friendly option while still delivering impressive aesthetic results.
- Cosmetic Improvement: This procedure is excellent for filling gaps between teeth, providing a seamless and natural appearance. It enhances the overall look of your smile, creating a harmonious and balanced effect.
- Structural Reinforcement: Beyond its cosmetic benefits, teeth bonding strengthens the structural integrity of teeth. It acts as a protective layer, preventing further damage and decay.
- Confidence Boost: Teeth bonding goes beyond physical restoration; it restores your confidence in your smile. The seamless repair of dental imperfections with composite resin can significantly improve your self-esteem.
- Swift Treatment: Composite bonding is known for its efficiency. The procedure is relatively quick, offering a timely solution for those seeking prompt results.
- Non-Invasive Process: The installation of dental bonding is minimally invasive. Dr. Grivas expertly applies the resin without the need for extensive tooth alterations, making it a comfortable and straightforward procedure.
- Improved Functionality: In addition to its cosmetic benefits, composite bonding contributes to improved functionality. It helps in achieving proper chewing, ensuring that your dental health is both functional and visually appealing.
- Aesthetic Harmony: One of the notable advantages of teeth bonding is its ability to create a more even and aesthetically pleasing look for your teeth, contributing to a harmonious and balanced smile.
The Dental Bonding Process
During your initial consultation, Dr. Grivas will evaluate your candidacy for dental bonding by thoroughly examining your mouth, reviewing your medical history, and asking you about what you want from the procedure. You may not qualify for bonding if your damage is too severe or the discoloration is widespread and highly noticeable.
Once you and Dr. Grivas have both decided that bonding will be an effective treatment for you, we’ll help you pick a shade of resin to match your natural teeth. Then, we’ll schedule your next appointment.
However, if the damage is close to the nerves, the tooth is decayed, or the tooth needs to be drilled, Dr. Grivas will use local anesthetic and can offer sedation dentistry options to make your procedure painless and comfortable. We’ll thoroughly clean your teeth before bonding so the resin has a smooth, sanitary surface to adhere to and no food particles become trapped by the resin.
Dr. Grivas will bond the resin to your tooth, molding it into the proper shape. Then, he’ll use a handheld blue light to harden the resin after it’s been molded. Once the resin dries, your dentist will further shape, trim, and polish it to match your natural smile. Once he finishes shaping and polishing your resin, you can start enjoying your restored smile.
Dental Bonding Aftercare
After undergoing the cosmetic dental procedure for bonding, it’s essential to follow proper aftercare to ensure the longevity and effectiveness of the treatment. Here are some key considerations for maintaining your newly bonded teeth:
- Avoid Staining Substances: In the initial days following dental bonding, be cautious about consuming or using substances that can cause staining, such as coffee, tea, red wine, and tobacco. This helps preserve the color and appearance of the bonded teeth.
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene: Maintain a regular and thorough oral hygiene routine, including brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing daily. Use a non-abrasive toothpaste to protect the bonded surfaces.
- Protect Against Teeth Grinding: If you tend to grind your teeth, consider getting a custom nightguard. This protective dental appliance can prevent damage to both natural teeth and bonded surfaces, ensuring prolonged effectiveness.
- Regular Dental Check-ups: Schedule regular dental check-ups to allow your dentist to assess the condition of the bonded teeth and address any issues promptly. This proactive approach helps maintain the integrity of the bonding over time.
- Address Anomalies Promptly: If you notice any changes in the bonded teeth, such as chips, cracks, or discoloration, contact your dentist promptly. Timely intervention can prevent further damage and maintain the quality of the bonding.
- Be Mindful of Hard Foods: While dental bonding is durable, it’s advisable to be cautious with extremely hard foods or objects to prevent unnecessary stress on the bonded surfaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
The resin used for dental bonding usually lasts for three to ten years. To extend the life of your resin, you’ll need to practice proper oral hygiene and attend regular dental exams. Your dentist will be able to help you maintain your dental bonding and replace it as needed.
The exact cost of your bonding procedure will vary depending on several factors such as how many teeth you need bonding for, the extent of the problem being treated, and your insurance. It’s highly advised that you call your insurance provider beforehand to ask them if they can cover some or all of the cost of your dental bonding procedure.
The resin used in dental bonding cannot be whitened. If you want to whiten your smile, your dentist recommends that you undergo teeth whitening before you undergo dental bonding. That way, we can ensure your resin matches the rest of your beautiful new smile.
Dental bonding takes an average of 30 minutes to an hour, but this time frame varies based on factors such as the type and extent of the issue being addressed and how many teeth require bonding. Your cosmetic dentist will be able to give you a more accurate estimate based on the information they gather during your consultation.
Smile Healthier & Smile Brighter With Composite Dental Bonding
With dental bonding, Dr. Grivas can fix cosmetic issues with your smile while also boosting your oral health. By applying this versatile, tooth-colored, composite resin, your Sacramento cosmetic dentist can help you enjoy a more beautiful and healthier smile. Dr. Grivas is proud to offer his years of service to his patients across Sacramento, including neighboring areas such as Elk Grove, Folsom, and Riverview.
If you’re interested in restoring the look and function of your teeth, or you want to schedule an appointment with Dr. Grivas, call our Sacramento office by dialing (916) 929-9222. You can also request an appointment online, and one of our friendly team members will get back to you shortly.