Protect Your Oral Health with ViziLite Oral Cancer Screenings
Oral cancer is a serious condition that affects the mouth, throat, and surrounding areas. By undergoing regular screenings, individuals can detect oral cancer in its early stages, increasing the chances of successful treatment. Sacramento, CA preventive dentist, Dr. A Scott Grivas III provides ViziLite oral cancer screenings to protect your oral and overall health.
What Is Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer refers to the uncontrolled growth of cells in the mouth, tongue, lips, and throat. According to the American Cancer Society, approximately 53,000 people in the United States will be diagnosed with oral cancer this year. Early detection is crucial for effective treatment and improved survival rates. This is where ViziLite oral cancer screenings play a vital role.
What Are Oral Cancer Screenings?
Oral cancer screenings refer to the examination and assessment of the oral cavity, including the mouth, throat, and surrounding areas, to detect any signs or abnormalities that may indicate the presence of oral cancer. These screenings are an important preventive measure aimed at identifying oral cancer at its early stages when treatment is most effective.
During the screening process, dental professionals use various techniques, including visual examinations and specialized technologies like ViziLite, to carefully examine the oral tissues and identify any suspicious lesions or abnormalities that require further evaluation. By undergoing regular oral cancer screenings, individuals can take proactive steps to protect their oral health and increase the chances of successful treatment outcomes.
The Benefits of Oral Cancer Screenings
Early Detection: Oral cancer screenings with ViziLite enable early detection of abnormalities in the oral cavity. By identifying potential signs of cancer at an early stage, patients have a higher chance of successful treatment.
Improved Treatment Outcomes: When oral cancer is detected early, treatment options are more effective and less invasive. It allows for targeted therapy, reducing the risk of complications and improving overall outcomes.
Peace of Mind: Undergoing regular oral cancer screenings provides peace of mind, knowing that potential signs of cancer are being closely monitored. It allows individuals to take proactive steps in safeguarding their oral health.
The ViziLite Oral Cancer Screenings Process
ViziLite is an innovative technology that enhances the detection of oral cancer. It utilizes a specialized light source to identify abnormal cells in the oral cavity. The process of oral cancer screenings with ViziLite involves the following steps:
Before the screening, avoid eating or drinking anything that could affect the clarity of the oral tissues.
Foods and drinks to avoid before your ViziLite oral Cancer Screening include:
- Dark-colored Foods and Beverages: Foods and drinks that have strong pigments, such as coffee, tea, red wine, berries, and dark chocolate, can stain the oral tissues and make it difficult to detect any abnormalities. It’s best to avoid consuming these items before your screening.
- Spicy Foods: Spicy foods, including hot sauces, peppers, and spices, can irritate the oral tissues and cause redness or inflammation. This can make it challenging for the dentist to accurately examine the oral cavity. It’s advisable to avoid spicy foods before the screening.
- Citrus Fruits and Juices: Citrus fruits and acidic juices, such as oranges, lemons, grapefruits, and tomato-based products, can cause tissue irritation and lead to temporary inflammation. It’s preferable to refrain from consuming these acidic foods and drinks before the screening.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can cause dehydration and dry out the oral tissues, making them appear less clear during the examination. It’s advisable to avoid alcoholic beverages before the screening to ensure optimal visibility of the oral tissues.
- Tobacco Products: Smoking or using other tobacco products can have detrimental effects on oral health and increase the risk of oral cancer. It is strongly recommended to refrain from using tobacco in any form before the screening.
- Breath Mints and Mouthwash: Some breath mints and mouthwashes contain dyes or colorants that can temporarily stain the oral tissues. It’s best to avoid using these products prior to the screening.
Your preventive dentist will provide specific instructions to ensure accurate results.
During the examination, your Sacramento dentist will conduct a visual assessment of your oral cavity, including the lips, tongue, gums, and throat. They will look for any unusual changes or abnormalities.
After the initial examination, Dr. Grivas will apply ViziLite, a special rinse that highlights abnormal cells in the oral tissues. This rinse makes it easier to detect any potential signs of oral cancer.
Using a ViziLite device, your dentist will shine a blue light into your mouth. The abnormal cells will appear distinctly, allowing for a more accurate diagnosis.
Evaluation and Follow-Up
Based on the findings of the examination, your dentist will evaluate the results and discuss them with you. If any abnormalities are detected, further diagnostic tests or a biopsy may be recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many dental insurance plans cover oral cancer screenings as part of routine preventive care. However, coverage may vary, so it’s important to check with your insurance provider to determine your specific coverage details.
Oral cancer can affect anyone, but certain factors increase the risk. Tobacco and alcohol use, excessive sun exposure, a family history of oral cancer, and the human papillomavirus (HPV) are some of the risk factors.
No, oral cancer screenings are generally painless. The examination involves a visual assessment and, if necessary, the application of a specialized rinse and the use of blue light to detect abnormal cells.
The frequency of oral cancer screenings may vary depending on individual risk factors. In general, it’s recommended to have a screening at least once a year during routine dental check-ups. Your dentist can provide personalized recommendations based on your specific situation.
Take Control of Your Oral Health with ViziLite Oral Cancer Screenings
Don’t wait until it’s too late to prioritize your oral health. Take a proactive step towards protecting yourself by scheduling a ViziLite oral cancer screening with Dr. Grivas. With the advanced technology of ViziLite, you can have peace of mind knowing that potential abnormalities will be closely examined and dealt with as soon as possible.
Book your screening today by calling (916) 929-9222 or filling out the contact form below. Prioritize your oral health for a brighter and healthier future. Dr. Grivas provides routine oral cancer screenings with ViziLite to patients in Sacramento and surrounding areas such as La Riviera, West Sacramento, Florin, Rosemont, and beyond.