If you have ever been to the beach, did you pick up a seashell and think, “Oh look, this could have once been a tooth”? Well, according to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, scientific evidence shows that in 600 AD people hammered tooth-like pieces of shell directly into the jaw to try to replace missing teeth. Ouch! Thankfully, modern dentistry has come a long way and instead of sharp shells, dentures, bridges and dental implants are used today to restore smiles. But which dental treatment is right for you? Here are 6 reasons why dental implants in Sacramento are the superior tooth replacement solution.
What is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are screw-like “anchors” manufactured out of titanium and surgically placed into the jawbone beneath the gums. Implants fuse with the bone in the jaw, mimicking the natural tooth root structure and providing a stable base for a new crown or bridge.
Treatment is generally completed in three parts and usually takes several months. First, a dentist surgically places the implant in the jaw and over the next 3 to 6 months the implant will fuse with the bone, a process called “osseointegration”. Next, a dentist attaches an extension, called a post, to the implant and the gum tissue is allowed to heal around the post. Finally, a custom-made crown is created and attached to the implant post, successfully filling in the gap left by a missing tooth.
6 Advantages of Dental Implants
Conventional bridges and dentures remain viable options for individuals seeking to restore their smile. However, dental implants have a range of benefits that set them apart. Here are 6 reasons why dental implants are the ideal tooth replacement option:
- Long-Term Solution – Dental implants can last several decades or even a lifetime with proper oral care, making them an excellent solution for a lasting smile.
- Preserve Your Healthy Teeth – Traditional bridges require healthy teeth to be shaved down on either side of the gap in order to fit in place in your mouth. Implants’ support comes from the titanium rod in the jaw, meaning healthy teeth can remain untouched.
- Natural Appearance –Dental implants are custom-made to closely match the shape and color of your natural teeth so they will blend in seamlessly with the rest of your smile.
- No Sacrificing Your Favorite Foods – With dentures, you often must be careful what foods you consume. Dental implants offer nearly the same chewing power of natural teeth, so you can keep eating your favorite foods worry-free.
- High Success Rate – With a success rate of approximately 98%, dental implants offer a reliable way to fill in the gaps in any smile.
Stable, natural-looking dental implants can rejuvenate your appearance and restore your self-confidence. Speaking with a dentist today is the first step to a full smile that will last a lifetime!
About the Author
Dr. Scott Grivas has delivered high-quality dentistry treatment to families and individuals in Sacramento for over a decade. Through his pursuit to help patients achieve the smiles of their dreams he was awarded Fellowship status by the International Dental Implant Association. Dr. Grivas can be reached through his website or by calling the office at 916-571-0815.