The turning of the calendar to the new year is an opportunity to reset your goals, set new habits and strive toward a healthier, happier version of you in 2020. One way you can start the year off on the right foot is by scheduling a routine dental checkup with your dentist in Sacramento. Here is why preventive dental appointments are so important – this year and every year!
Why Dental Checkups Are Important
The American Dental Association considers routine dental checkups an essential part of maintaining a healthy smile and recommends every person visit a dentist twice a year for an exam and cleaning.
Avoiding professional dental care, regardless of the reason, can have negative health consequences, such as:
- #1: Increased Risk of Tooth Decay – Professional dental cleanings remove harmful plaque and tartar build-up, which can lead to tooth decay.
- #2: Increased Risk of Gum Disease – Early detection of gum disease is critical to prevent it from progressing and causing lasting damage.
- #3: Increased Risk of Oral Cancer Progression – Regular dental exams are key to catching oral cancer early on. The potentially deadly disease is easiest to treat in the early stages.
What Happens During a Dental Checkup?
Here is what you can expect during a routine dental checkup with an experienced dentist in Sacramento:
- Professional cleaning – First, your dentist or dental hygienist will thoroughly clean your teeth. Only a professional cleaning can remove hardened tartar which, if not eliminated, can contribute to gum disease and cavities.
- Dental X-rays – If it has been a while since your last visit, your dentist may take new X-rays of your teeth and the surrounding bone structure to check for hidden problems. Today, digital X-rays produce images faster and use significantly less radiation compared to traditional X-ray technology
- Dental exam – Finally, your dentist will visually and manually examine your teeth and mouth for signs of cavities, gum disease, and other serious oral health issues, such as oral cancer.
Why Children Should See the Dentist
Regular dental checkups are also very important for young children. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children go to a dentist starting at age 1 or within six months after their first tooth erupts.
Routine dental checkups help remind children about the importance of taking care of their teeth at home through proper brushing and flossing.
In addition to checking for signs of tooth decay or damaged teeth, your child’s dentist will also evaluate their teeth to see if they may need braces or other orthodontic treatment.
As your child grows older, regular dental checkups are an opportunity for your child to ask their dentist questions they have about oral care and for their dentist to share tips on how to maintain a healthy smile.
Embrace 2020 with a positive attitude and a commitment to improving your dental health this year! Reach out to your dentist in Sacramento before the end of the month to get started.
About the Author
Dr. Scott Grivas has over a decade of experience helping individuals and families in Sacramento achieve and maintain healthy smiles. The proud Loma Linda University graduate offers dental sealants, mouth guards, oral cancer screenings and more preventive care at his Sacramento private practice. Patients old and new can contact Dr. Grivas via his website or by calling 916-929-9222.