One of the most traumatic events that has occurred in your life has been the loss of your teeth. It has left you unable to function normally and has greatly tarnished your confidence. Thankfully, there is a viable way to restore the quality of life that has escaped you for so long – dental implants in Sacramento. Your local dentist understands that you probably have questions, though, so he’ll weigh in with 5 things that you should know about this restorative process.
What’s a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a surgically inserted post that is made from titanium, a very strong material that is long-lasting and biocompatible (merges with your cells). The procedure is usually done in two steps. At the first appointment, your dentist will perform the initial surgery to affix the implant to your jawbone and then place a temporary covering to protect the site.
While your face and jaw are healing from the insertion of the post, your cells will begin to produce new bone material that will grow around the implant to anchor it into position. After a period of time, you will then return to your dentist to be fitted with either a crown, bridge or set of implant-retained dentures.
5 Things You Should Know About Dental Implants
Here are some other important facts that you should know about dental implants:
- High Success Rate – When working with a well-trained and skilled dentist, it’s comforting to know that the success rate of dental implants is as high as 95 percent.
- Look and Feel Natural – Another benefit of this process is that implants offer the most natural look of any of the full-smile-makeover options. Thus, you don’t have to worry about anyone knowing that you have a replacement fixture in your mouth. You’ll then be able to smile with confidence.
- Allow for Easier Eating – One of the problems that people can sometimes have with using traditional dentures to restore their smile, is that they can’t taste their food like they normally would. You won’t have to endure this loss of sensation with a dental implant. This is because with the latter, your palate won’t be covered, thus allowing you to better enjoy your food.
- Replace Roots – Another advantage of the dental implant procedure is that by attaching to your jawbone, it acts as the root of your missing tooth, which provides a level of security and stability that no other application can equal.
- Protect Healthy Teeth – Because your implant acts as the root of your tooth, it also protects your other teeth. This is because your ivories and jawbone function in a symbiotic relationship where a healthy degree of tension is applied by them resting side-by-side. This then sends a signal to the jawbone to continue producing new bone material to hold the teeth in place. Thus, your implant contributes to the constant pressure that furthers this natural process.
So now that you know more about the dental implant procedure, are you ready to take a bold step and restore the confidence and function that has been missing for far too long? If so, then don’t hesitate to reach out to your dentist today!
About the Author
Dr. Scott Divas earned his DDS degree from Loma Linda University School of Dentistry and would go on to deliver 10 years of compassionate and expert care to his patients. Because he remains driven to deliver the best care possible, he continues to pursue more knowledge, participating in regular continuing education courses with the Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies continuum and several other organizations. Dr. Divas can be reached for more information through his website.